As we learn more about what makes people successful in business and even in terms of leadership, researchers and NLP professionals have now moved on from the usual attributes of Intelligence Quotient (IQ) towards Emotional Intelligence(EQ). And EQ is now considered a very essential ingredient in the make-up of potential leaders. Conversely to our IQ, our EQ is something we build and develop with appropriate training and this is just what Neuro-Linguistic programming (NLP) does.
What is Emotional intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence according to Wikipedia is “the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others and of groups.”
The following are various elements we can use to develop our Emotional Intelligence.
• Self-Awareness: An understanding about your emotions, states, and moods and their effects on your behavior is essential for one to develop Emotional Intelligence.
• Self-Regulation: Ability to control your impulses and mood, as well as thinking properly before you act is paramount if you must develop your Emotional Intelligence.
• Motivation: You have to be relentless in the pursuit of your higher goals, this can be achieved by developing high energy levels. Which in turn helps you to develop your Emotional Intelligence.
• Empathy: By considering another person’s emotional state or another person’s emotional make-up you are indirectly developing yours.
• Social Skills: Your rapport with others is a determinant of the level of your emotional intelligence, and also helps in maintaining perfect relationships.
You can address these areas by using appropriate NLP techniques. NLP focuses on your unconscious mind to make sure that you don’t only know what you should do to develop your Emotional Intelligence but to actually do what is needed. To make a particular behaviour permanent and repeatable you need to train that particular behaviour into your nervous system. And NLP achieves this goal by working with the unconscious mind.
How does NLP develop Emotional Intelligence?
Let’s consider how to use NLP in terms of the above elements to develop our Emotional Intelligence.
The primary purpose of NLP is to understand how to influence our conscious mind through our unconscious mind. This can be achieved by knowing how your brain operates, how you can align your experiences with your behaviour so as to develop it. NLP enables you to transform your emotions, your thoughts, your likes and your dislikes. This is done by manipulating your unconscious mind.
With NLP anchoring, you can recognise and change your mood without stress. You can as well set triggers which instantly produces a desired emotion at any point in time.
NLP deals with outcomes, how to improve your abilities, what you want and the method to getting what you want. With NLP techniques, you can make your objectives and goals compelling. Once you are properly motivated, you can effectively carry out the different aspects of EQ which is the ability to assess and control the emotions of:
⎫ Yourself: by keeping away negative vibes and filling your mind with positive thoughts always.
⎫ Others: This is very important in the case of sales persons attempting to influence their prospects to make purchases with them using principles embedded in NLP. With the right internal motivation, you can create intimate relationships that can allow you control the emotions or even actions of others.
⎫ A group: Politicians and TV hosts such as Donald Trump and Oprah Winfrey respectively are notable figures that are actively involved in influencing the emotions of the group of persons that make up their audience.
- Social Skills
Since NLP helps you to improve on what you have going already, it means that most of the time, you need to incorporate new set of skills to enable you do this. EQ is boosted when you apply these set of skills that can be learnt through NLP.
The immense benefits of NLP are of wide range and so it is not surprising that it can play a major role in shifting your perspectives and improving your emotional intelligence.